Named one of America's Top 10 Beach Towns by Fodor's Travel Guides, Traverse City is Michigan's favorite northern travel destination. It has something for everyone, no matter what the season. At just over 15,000 people, it has a small town feel with large town advantages. Miles and miles of sugar sand beaches along Lake Michigan, exhilarating outdoor activities, and award-winning wineries make Traverse City the place to be! The food scene in Traverse City is gaining national attention, in part to recognition by Bon Appetit magazine and Chef Mario Batali, who has a summer home in Traverse City.
Top Things to Do and See in Traverse City
- The Village at Grand Traverse Commons: Once the Traverse City State hospital, the village holds a lot of history, even ghost stories, and offers unique shopping, fine restaurants and tours.
- Traverse City Recreation and Transportation Trails: Traverse City has a wonderful network of biking and walking trails perfect for seeing the city and supporting an active lifestyle.
- Grand Traverse Bay: This gorgeous, calm bay has popular beaches all along the coast and shimmering blue water navigated by sailboats.
- State Theatre and Bijou by the Bay: Run by the Traverse City Film Festival, both theaters play an important role in the community and host a variety of films and events.
- Beach Bums Baseball Game: This professional baseball team play at Wuerfel Park, a grand stadium that resembles a resort hotel, with home games perfect for the whole family.
Traverse City Beaches
Over 180 miles of shoreline await you on Lake Michigan and Grand Traverse Bay. Traverse City locals and visitors enjoy water that is clear blue, clean, and FRESH! None of that pesky salt water to dry out your skin. You'll feel refreshed and relaxed after your swim...and with all this space, you'll avoid the crowds and have your own special spot on the beach. Build a sand castle, soak up some sun, and feel the stress leave your body.
Outdoor Activities in the Traverse City Area
If you like to hit the links, Traverse City golf championship courses will become your favorite places to play. With designs by such famous players as Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Tom Weiskopf, you'll find these courses both beautiful and challenging. Pamper yourself with a visit to one of Traverse City's premier spas, visit a museum or lighthouse, or try your luck at a local casino. For just $10, watch a Traverse City Beach Bums baseball game in Wuerfel Park, which resembles a hotel more than a ballpark. Kids will love the waterpark at Great Wolf Lodge...and one place you won't want to miss is Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
, where you can climb a high dune and enjoy breathtaking vistas of Lake Michigan. During the winter, anything you can do on the snow...you can do in Traverse City! Snowshoeing, cross country & downhill skiing, snowmobiling, ice skating...there's no better way to survive the cold than to immerse yourself in it and have fun!
Lodging & Restaurants in Traverse City
When it's time to retire for the evening, Traverse City has the most wonderful variety of accommodations. Hotels and motels, bed & breakfasts, cabins and resorts, condominiums and vacation rentals are available in all styles and price ranges. You certainly won't go hungry in Traverse City — their distinctive cuisine will both surprise and delight you. Fresh, locally grown fruits and vegetables are showcased in delicious entrees and desserts. Tantalize your taste buds with a glass of wine produced from area vineyards. Whether you stop into a cafe, bistro, or elegant restaurant, you will not be disappointed.